Seed Savers 2018 Order: Place your orders for this season’s seeds by Thursday, 2/15 in the Direct Order binder
Open Volunteer Jobs:
Happy Cow Pickup/Delivery Person to pick up milk and cheese from the farm and deliver to the Co-op every other Monday. You would use your own vehicle and the markup is 5%. If interested please call Lori Pierce on Mondays at the Co-op between 10am-2pm or email
Cleaning Person to clean the Co-op weekly. For more information, contact Theresa Pizzuto
2018 Membership Renewals: Memberships are due the first time you shop at the Co-op in 2018. The cost is still $24 for the entire year. Thank you for your continued support!
Free Giveaway Drawing: Bring a friend to the co-op and enter into a drawing for a free giveaway each month!
We’re giving away products from some of our best suppliers. Co-op members will receive one entry into a prize drawing for each new visitor you bring to the co-op. Each new member will also be entered once in the drawing, to be done at the monthly managers’ meeting.
Be sure to fill out your registration information when you bring friends to see the co-op. Your cashier will have the form handy!
This month’s prize is a Carlson shopping bag, a liter of Sunberry Farms Tropical juice, and a bar of Carlson E-Gam soap with aloe vera.
Local Produce Update: Due to the extremely low night time temperatures, local produce is scarce at the moment. We hope to be able to procure more soon.
Recalled: Rapunzel brand no added salt vegetable bouillon
if you have product that matches this information please return it to the Co-op for a credit (recalled due to label mistake)
- Rapunzel Bouillon Veg No Salt 12/2.4 oz (33T/594P) 012
- Lot numbers: 112075, 113390, 114805, 116205, 118230 and 119631
- Best Buy dates: 9/10/2018, 11/12/2018, 12/17/2018, 03/04/2019, 05/23/2019 and 7/22/2019
- Gaia: Order has been placed and received.
- Krause Brothers Citrus & Juice: The first order will be available on Feb. 15.
- Sami’s Bread: New order placed today and hopefully available Thursday, Februry 15th.
- UNFI: The next delivery will be available Thursday, February 22nd. The next ordering deadline is Monday, February 26, available Thursday, March 8th.
- Frontier Herbs: February’s fourth Wednesday deadline is Wednesday, February 28th.
- Happy Cow: The next order deadline will be Saturday, February 17th for delivery on Monday, February 19th.
- Split Creek: An order will be placed as needed.
- Dimpflmeier Bread: An order was received on Friday, August 11th. Still some products in freezer.
Krause Brothers, Greenville, SC
We have a new vendor, Krause Brothers, who provide fresh citrus direct from family owned farm in Florida. They also make fresh squeezed orange juice and grapefruit juice.
We will place an order this week for Krause Brothers fresh squeezed orange and grapefruit juices along with orchard direct oranges and grapefruits. Everything should be available on Thursday, Feb. 15. Orange juice should stay fresh for 14 days after squeezing and grapefruit for 17 days. The first order we receive will be squeezed on Feb. 13. Please place special orders in direct order book where you can see the available products and price list.
We have samples of the juices in the back cooler but it is going fast.
- Frozen Woodstock Corn
- Harmless Harvest Coconut Water (placed in freezer)
- Food Should Taste So Good multigrain chips
(Organic or Low Spray)
- Meyer lemons
- Organic Garlic from Cedar Knoll Farm
- Local, fresh ginger available from Laurel Horton of Patchwork Garden in Seneca. It is a short season, so get it while you can.
- Grapefruit-Sage Bucha
- We received a delivery this week from Blue Ridge Brinery and have a nice assortment of local Kraut and Kimchi
- Split Creek Farm:
- Feta in oil with olives
- Chive chèvre log
- Assorted varieties of goat milk fudge
- The cranberry walnut cheese ball and carton of raspberry Fromage Blanc has been put in the freezer to preserve integrity
- Wyman’s frozen blueberries
- Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream (two flavors Brambleberry Crisp and Whiskey & Pecans). Hint: This would be great for a Valentine’s Day treat!
- Amy’s Pizza Amy’s Cheese Pizza with Cornmeal Crust
- ‘Blake’s Shepherd’s Pie’
- ‘Against the Grain gluten free pizza shells’
- Brussel sprouts
- SoDelicious chocolate mocha bars
- Blake’s Chicken Pot Pies
Meats: we added grass fed ground lamb (already had ground beef and sausage)
Supplements: We can order from Pure Encapsulation, Douglas, Biotics Research, and Endo Met. All of these are supplements that you usually have to purchase through a health care provider.
Modern Forestry Candle Assortment (great for gifts!)
Discontinued Items: To view the complete list of discontinued items click HERE.
- Nutiva brand Organic Red Palm Oil 15oz is discontinued from the Co-op shelf; full cases of six jars are still available by special order only.
Back ordered Items
- None at this time
Split Creek Goat Farms ordering is available again in the Direct Order book. Orders will be placed when we have enough items to fill an order including what we keep in stock. Please email Jackie with any questions—firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Theresa Pizzuto if you have local produce you would like to sell through the Co-op. email@example.com 864-508-0617
- Good supply of cheese, milk and chocolate milk is available for special order.
- When placing orders you must place your order before Monday.
- You can call in your order and leave a message. Messages are checked early Monday morning before the order goes in.
- Eggs are stored in the refrigerator by the supplements. We procure from 4 suppliers.
- If you would like to sell eggs through the Co-op please contact Lori Pierce for more information (Mondays at the Co-op or call her at 864-843-2584).
Dimpflmeier Bread: We have a good supply in the freezer!
A new delivery of Back Roads granola (gluten free) came in last week.
Member feedback requested about Gluten-Free product info:
- What products do you like?
- Which items did you try and did not like?
- What type of items or brands would you like to see at the Co-op?
- Email Jackie Caldwell about Gluten-Free product info.
- Always looking for good suggestions for new gluten free products.
To receive the discount please inform the cashier BEFORE you begin your transaction; the discount will not be available after you have already checked out. Your markup will be reduced by 5% for that day; however, no markup can go below 0%.
1 medium onion
1 medium or 2 small carrots
2 small potatoes
5 small tomatoes
1 red or yellow pepper
2 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
Dried herbs (sage, thyme, rosemary, wild fennel are all good choices – either individually or combined in some form)
4 to 5 tablespoons of olive oil, plus more to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F (180 C). Quarter and slice the onion thinly. Dice all the vegetables into pieces that are approximately the same size (no larger than 1/2 inch). Pile the vegetables into a baking dish so that the vegetables lie a few inches thick. Season with salt, pepper and herbs to taste and then pour the olive oil over the vegetables. Mix thoroughly but gently – you don’t want to destroy the tomatoes before the dish goes into the oven. Now check the vegetables to make sure they are well-coated and glistening with oil. If need be, add more oil.
2. Put the dish in the oven and cook for 45 minutes to an hour. Halfway through the cooking process, remove the dish from the oven and very gently stir the vegetables so that the ones at the bottom come to the top. Towards the end of the cooking process, stir a second time. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Check for seasoning and serve.
Want to Help?
We have need for people to help with the following: Contact Theresa Pizzuto.
- Happy Cow milk pickup
- Bulk packagers
- Day Managers and Cashiers to work weekly and/or as subs
- Newsletter writers to write short articles for quarterly newsletter.
- Split Creek Goat items pick up
Discussion of health issues at the Clemson Library the 2nd Tuesday each month at 7pm. All are welcome to attend (next meeting Tuesday, 2/13/18). For further information contact Gary at 864-868-0107 or Lori at 864-843-2584.
2018 Board of Directors Meetings Dates (5:30pm) at the Central-Clemson Library: TBD please stay tuned for details. To see the full meeting calendar click here.Enjoy your week!