Temporarily Closed on Fridays as of August 2nd
Member Appreciation Day – Saturday, October 5
We will be giving out free samples with any purchase on the first Saturday of each month as a way to appreciate our members! Please stop by, we’d love to see you!
New, Restocked & Highlighted Products (See photos below)
- Bulk Packaged, Refrig, & Frozen: Artisan Kettle organic unsweetened baking bar, Aurora roasted organic cashews, hazelnuts and pine nuts, BioItalia organic pesto sauce, Farmers Market org pumpkin, NOW cacao nibs & powder, buttermilk powder, non-fat dry milk powder
- Gluten-Free: Back Roads Organic Granola
- Pet Food: Doggy Delirious dog biscuits in 2 flavors (pumpkin and peanut butter)
- Local Produce: we will receive an order on Thursday 10/4 and we still have apples, lemons, red onions, acorn & butternut squash, and local baby potatoes.
Monthly Senior Discount Day
The Co-Op offers a 5% discount to senior 65+ on the 3rd Saturday of each month. The next senior discount day will be held on Saturday, October 19.
Day Managers Needed
(Markup depends on day of week/hours worked)
We are looking for volunteers to be trained as Day Managers (hours depend on day of week). If you are interested or want to learn more please contact Theresa Pizzuto
(Officer position – 0% markup)
The Secretary takes minutes at the monthly manager meetings & quarterly general membership meetings, sends out the Weekly Update and all email communications to members & managers. Computer skills are required, including basic knowledge of Word and Excel; familiarity with Google Docs a plus. If you are interested or want to learn more please contact Theresa Pizzuto.
Assistant Manager Needed
(Officer position – 0% markup)
The Assistant Manager assists the General Manager and Associate Manager in management activities and decision-making, serves in the absence of the Assoc. Manager or General Manager as needed, attends Manager, General Membership and agenda-planning meetings and works to gain knowledge of all jobs, policies and procedures associated with the operation of the Co-op. Good organizational, communication and computer skills are required, including basic knowledge of Word and Excel; familiarity with Google Docs, MailChimp and email lists is a plus. You will work closely with the the Associate & General Manager and we will provide training as needed. If you are interested or want to learn more please contact Theresa Pizzuto
2019 Membership Renewals
Memberships are due the first time you shop at the Co-op in 2019. The cost is still $24 for the entire year. Thank you for your continued support!
Order Deadlines and Delivery Dates
UNFI — The next order delivery is Thursday, October 4 and the next order deadline is Monday, October 7.
Happy Cow — We received an order on Monday, Sept 16. The next order will be available on Tuesday, October 1st.
Carlson — Orders due by Tuesday, September 24 by 5pm
Sami’s Bread — The last Sami’s order arrived Thursday, July 18. Please check the shelves for chips and the freezer for Bagels and Bread.
Frontier Herbs — Orders due monthly on the 4th Wednesday of the month
Albert’s Produce— The next delivery will arrive on October 30th. To place an order or receive information about product/price lists please contact Theresa.
New and Restocked Products
If you are interested in ordering a specific type of produce please contact Theresa to discuss availability.
Short-term Local Seasonal Produce
To special order please contact Theresa
New produce will be coming in later this week from Growing Greens.
- Growing Greens Family Farms: we plan to order greens and other seasonal produce from them every 1-2 weeks. For more information, visit Growing Green Family Farm. They are a local farm in Anderson, SC.
- Cedar Knoll Farm: we will order seasonal produce as our shelf stock is depleted (weekly or every other week).
- Healthy Hen Farm: seasonal produce will be ordered as it is available
- Jewell Farm: garlic and other produce will be ordered as it is available.
- Mile Creek Farm: seasonal produce will be ordered as it is available
- Warbrance Mushrooms: shiitakes were delivered on Sep 10
Albert’s Organics Produce Distributor: Our next order will arrive on October 30. Produce still available: apples (Pink Lady), lemons, mini seedless watermelons, onions (red), squash (acorn & butternut)
Discontinued by UNFI
St. Dalfour Gourmet to Go 3 Bean Salad
Traina Natural California Bing Cherries
SunSpire Coconut Dark Chocolate Bar
Veg Bouillon (no salt, w/ herbs, w/ sea salt)
Coconut Secret Organic Almond Coconut Bar
Nutiva brand Organic Red Palm Oil 15oz is discontinued from the Co-op shelf.
Full cases of six jars are still available by special order only.
Reed’s Cherry Brew beverage
Canned Santa Barbara brand large black olives
Still Available by Special Order
Eden Organic Red Kidney Beans, 15oz cans
Eden Organic Cannellini White Kidney Beans, 15oz cans
There are a variety of discounted items located on our Clearance shelf.
Recipes and Health Articles
Red Burgundy okra variety: Though it’s certainly pretty to look at—deep magenta pods that transition to green when exposed to heat—its allure is more than skin deep. “Taste-wise, Red Burgundy is very similar to other okra varieties, but I find it to be a little more tender and less slimy,” Greene says. Introduced in 1983 by scientists at Clemson University after eight years of careful tweaking, the crimson beauties have become eye-catching regulars at more and more mainstream grocery stores and farmers’ markets around the South come August and September.
Roasted & Grilled Okra Recipes
Okra Recipes from allrecipes.com – for those who don’t want them fried or boiled!
10 fresh okra pods, sliced 1/3 in thick
1 T olive oil
2 t kosher salt, or to taste
2 t black pepper, or to taste
1. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Arrange the okra slices in one layer on a foil lined cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
1 lb fresh okra
1/4 c melted butter
1/4 c cajun seasoning
1. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
2. Roll the okra in the melted butter and then in the cajun seasoning. Grill the okra until charred, about 2 minutes per side.
- Put okra on soaked skewers
- Use olive oil instead of butter for a healthy replacement