2018 Membership Renewals: Memberships are due the first time you shop at the Co-op in 2018. The cost is still $24 for the entire year. Thank you for your continued support!
Manager Meeting Reminder: Please join us this Saturday, January 27th at 9:00am at the Co-op for the monthly manager meeting. All are welcome.
Marketing Update: Many thanks to Roberta Bolduc of Natural Awakenings, who gave us a tremendous package deal for advertising and publicity in this publication targeted at those interested in natural health and healing. In addition to an advertisement and a listing in the community directory in the January edition, we are featured in a News Brief at http://www.upstatena.com/upstate-food-co-op-stocks-natural-and-organic-foods/.
Local Produce Update: Due to the extremely low night time temperatures, local produce is scarce at the moment. We hope to be able to procure more in the next week or two.
Recalled: Rapunzel brand no added salt vegetable bouillon
if you have product that matches this information please return it to the Co-op for a credit (recalled due to label mistake)
- Rapunzel Bouillon Veg No Salt 12/2.4 oz (33T/594P) 012
- Lot numbers: 112075, 113390, 114805, 116205, 118230 and 119631
- Best Buy dates: 9/10/2018, 11/12/2018, 12/17/2018, 03/04/2019, 05/23/2019 and 7/22/2019
Building and Grounds Manager Needed and Weekly Cleaning Person: For more information, email Theresa Pizzuto.
Help Wanted Happy Cow Pickup/Delivery Person to pick up milk and cheese from the farm and deliver to the Co-op every other Monday. You would use your own vehicle and the markup is 5%. If interested please call Lori Pierce on Mondays at the Co-op between 10am-2pm or email Theresa Pizzuto.
UPCOMING ORDER DEADLINES & DELIVERIES
To view the online ordering deadline and delivery calendar, click HERE.
- Gaia: Order has been placed and received.
- Dimpflmeier Bread: An order was received on Friday, August 11th. Products in freezer.
- Sami’s Bread: Our most recent order was deliveredThursday, January 11th. New order pending
- Frontier Herbs: January’s fourth Wednesday deadline is Wednesday January 24th.
- Happy Cow: The next order deadline will be Saturday, January 27th for delivery on Monday, January 29th.
- UNFI: The next ordering deadline is Monday, January 29th available Thursday, February 8th.
- Split Creek: An order will be placed as needed.
Received delivery from Split Creek Goat Farm:
- Feta in brine
- Feta in oil with green olives
- The cranberry walnut cheese ball and carton of raspberry Fromage Blanc has been put in the freezer to preserve integrity.
- Assorted varieties of goat milk fudge
(Organic or Low Spray)
- Meyer lemons and pecans from SC
- Organic Garlic from Cedar Knoll Farm
- Local, fresh ginger is now available from Laurel Horton of Patchwork Garden in Seneca. It is a short season, so get it while you can.
- Green, curly kale
- Murasaki Sweet Potatoes (white)
- Sweet Potatoes (orange)
Refrigerator: Grapefruit-Sage Bucha
- Amy’s Pizza Amy’s Cheese Pizza with Cornmeal Crust
- Brussel sprouts
- SoDelicious chocolate mocha bars
- Blake’s Chicken Pot Pies
Meats: we added grass fed ground lamb (already had ground beef and sausage)
Modern Forestry Candle Assortment (great for gifts!)
Discontinued Items: To view the complete list of discontinued items click HERE.
- Nutiva brand Organic Red Palm Oil 15oz is discontinued from the Co-op shelf; full cases of six jars are still available by special order only.
Back ordered Items
- None at this time
Split Creek Goat Farms ordering is available again in the Direct Order book. Orders will be placed when we have enough items to fill an order including what we keep in stock. Please email Jackie with any questions—email@example.com
Call Theresa Pizzuto if you have local produce you would like to sell through the Co-op. firstname.lastname@example.org 864-508-0617
If you want to place an order with Frontier Herbs, you can submit an order online and it will be incorporated into the full order for the Co-op. New deadline is 4th Wednesday of the month. For information or to request an online account for ordering from Frontier, contact Jill Fleeman at email@example.com 864-506-4221
The supplement shelves have been organized to group products by type (vitamins, herbs, etc.) rather than by brand or company. *Please share any feedback or suggestions for improvement with Gale Farrier or Katherine Vinson. To see a complete list of supplements available, click here. To see supplements listed by BRAND click here.
- Good supply of cheese, milk and chocolate milk is available for special order.
- When placing orders you must place your order before Monday.
- You can call in your order and leave a message. Messages are checked early Monday morning before the order goes in.
- Eggs are stored in the refrigerator by the supplements. We get a supply from 4 suppliers.
- If you would like to sell eggs through the Co-op please contact Lori Pierce for more information (Mondays at the Co-op or call her at 864-843-2584).
Sami’s Bread has changed their disclaimer, which can be viewed in detail here. We will place the next order when the order minimum is met. Our newest order is available as of January 11th!
Dimpflmeier Bread: We have a good supply in the freezer!
Member feedback requested about Gluten-Free product info:
- What products do you like?
- Which items did you try and did not like?
- What type of items or brands would you like to see at the Co-op?
- Email Jackie Caldwell about Gluten-Free product info.
- Always looking for good suggestions for new gluten free products.
We are trying to determine which pet foods to stock. If you have a preference for pet food you would like to purchase through the co-op, please call (864-506-4345) Frances Chamberlain with your requests.
Monthly Senior Discount Day:
The Co-op offers a 5% discount to all seniors 65+ on the 3rd Saturday of each month. The next senior discount day will be held on February 17th.
To receive the discount please inform the cashier BEFORE you begin your transaction; the discount will not be available after you have already checked out. Your markup will be reduced by 5% for that day; however, no markup can go below 0%.
VEGAN BLACK BEAN QUESADILLA
“These quesadillas pack a big punch, minus the fat of all that cheese! Serve with guacamole!”
- 1 (15 ounce) can great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or as needed
- 8 whole grain tortillas
- cooking spray
- Blend great Northern beans, 3/4 cup tomatoes, and garlic in a food processor until smooth; add nutritional yeast, cumin, chili powder, salt, and red pepper flakes and blend again.
- Transfer bean mixture to a bowl. Stir black beans and 1/4 cup tomatoes into bean mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place a tortilla in the hot oil. Spread about 1/4 cup filling onto the tortilla.
- Place another tortilla on top of filling; cook until filling is warmed, about 10 minutes.
- Spray the top tortilla with cooking spray and flip quesadilla to cook the second side until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Recipe By:DownHomeCitySisters.com
Want to Help?
We have need for people to help with the following: Contact Theresa Pizzuto.
- Assistant Manager
- Happy Cow milk pickup
- Bulk packagers
- Day Managers and Cashiers to work weekly and/or as subs
- Newsletter writers to write short articles for quarterly newsletter.
- Split Creek Goat items pick up
Discussion of health issues at the Clemson Library the 2nd Tuesday each month at 7pm. All are welcome to attend (next meeting Tuesday, 2/17/18). For further information contact Gary at 864-868-0107 or Lori at 864-843-2584.
2018 Board of Directors Meetings Dates (5:30pm) at the Central-Clemson Library: TBD please stay tuned for details. To see the full meeting calendar click here.Enjoy your week!