Co-op closed Thursday October 8.
Week of October 12-17: Co-op open on normal schedule.
Most of you know that Theresa Pizzuto was involved in a head on accident on Sunday 9/20. Theresa is home and recovering with the help of friends. She anticipates surgery on her right hand next week and then physical therapy. For now, her hand is in a sling. She also faces recovery from other fractures resulting from the accident. Theresa appreciates all words of encouragement and any offers of help. Until Theresa recovers, please be patient if produce and other items aren’t restocked as usual.
The Co-op needs a cashier to help fill in for Theresa on Thursdays. Other help is appreciated as well especially until Theresa gets back on her feet.
COVID-19 Reminders – We are still following safety protocols
As you know, the cases of COVID-19 have been increasing in our area. We hope that you are and your families are staying safe and healthy. We will continue to provide you with healthy foods and products to the best of our ability in order to help us all support our nutrition and immune systems.
Health and safety are all of our responsibilities. We encourage you to practice safety measures at home and when you’re out. Take measures to avoid unnecessary contact with large crowds and confined gatherings of people to help slow the spread of COVID-19.
What we ask you to do:
2020 Membership Renewals
Memberships are due the first time you shop at the Co-op in 2020. The cost has increased to $30 for the entire year, which is still a great deal. This is the first increase in 30 years, and is needed to increase our income. Thank you for your continued support!
See the recipe for Vegan Eggplant Meatballs at the bottom of this email
New, Restocked & Highlighted Products
(See photos below)
- Bulk Packaged, Refrig, & Frozen: Bulk cornmeal, organic sweetened cranberries; Organic dried blueberries, Organic dried mango, organic quinoa; thick cut rolled oatmeal; lots of nuts; walnut halves and pieces, Bee Harmony Orange blossom honey; LR Rice local hive honey; Vdovichenko Farms sourwood honey, Good Culture cottage cheese, Happy Cow cheeses & butter; local eggs; GTS kombucha (original, gingerade, cosmic cranberry), Health Ade Kombucha (bubbly rose);
- Gluten-Free: Ocean’s Halo no soy soy sauce, Julan Bakery Paleo Thin wraps, CauliPower pizza crust; iViva frozen cauliflower grain-free tortillas.
- Consignments: knitted items by Meg MacArthur – new knit caps and scarfs!
- Personal Care: nfuse magnesium deodorant, Alba Organics sunscreen, Clearly Natural unscented liquid hand soap
- Pet Products: UT support & Hairball treats, Homeopet nose relief, Castor & Pollux beef bone broth, Wellness gravies
- Supplements: Garlinase, Air-Power, Gaia Echinacea Supreme, Olive leaf, Oil of Oregano & CALM ASAP
- Local Produce: from Jewell Farms garlic; .
- also butternut squash in stock
- Warbranch Mushrooms delivered 10/6 – shiitake mushrooms
Monthly Senior Discount Day
The Co-Op offers a 5% discount to senior 65+ on the 3rd Saturday of each month. The next senior discount day will be held on Saturday, October 17
Day Managers Needed
(Markup depends on day of week/hours worked)
We are looking for volunteers to be trained as Day Managers (hours depend on day of week). If you are interested or want to learn more please contact Theresa Pizzuto
(Officer position – 0% markup)
The Secretary takes minutes at the monthly manager meetings & quarterly general membership meetings, sends out the Weekly Update and all email communications to members & managers. Computer skills are required, including basic knowledge of Word and Excel; familiarity with Google Docs a plus. If you are interested or want to learn more please contact Theresa Pizzuto.
Assistant Manager Needed
(Officer position – 0% markup)
The Assistant Manager assists the General Manager and Associate Manager in management activities and decision-making, serves in the absence of the Assoc. Manager or General Manager as needed, attends Manager, General Membership and agenda-planning meetings and works to gain knowledge of all jobs, policies and procedures associated with the operation of the Co-op. Good organizational, communication and computer skills are required, including basic knowledge of Word and Excel; familiarity with Google Docs, MailChimp and email lists is a plus. You will work closely with the the Associate & General Manager and we will provide training as needed. If you are interested or want to learn more please contact Theresa Pizzuto
Order Deadlines and Delivery Dates
UNFI — The next delivery date is Wednesday, October 14. The next order date is Monday, October 19 with delivery date of Wednesday, October 28.
Happy Cow — The next order deadline is Saturday, October 10 for pickup on Monday, October 12.
Sami’s Bread — Please place a special order if you would like us to order from this company again.
Frontier Herbs — Orders due monthly on the 4th Wednesday of the month.
Albert’s Produce— The next delivery will be made when we can meet the minimum. To place an order or receive information about product/price lists please contact Theresa.
New, Restocked & Highlighted Products
If you are interested in ordering a specific type of produce please contact Theresa to discuss availability.
Short-term Local Seasonal Produce
To special order please contact Theresa
New produce list:
see top section of email
- Growing Greens Family Farms: We order from them approximately every two weeks. For more information, visit Growing Green Family Farm. They are a local farm in Anderson, SC
- Cedar Knoll Farms: we will order seasonal produce as our shelf stock is depleted (weekly or every other week). For more information, go to https://www.cedarknollfarmnursery.farm/
- DarkSpore Mushrooms: We order from them approximately every two weeks. They culture a variety of mushrooms including Blue Oyster, Chestnut, Elm oyster and shiitakes. For more information, go to https://www.facebook.com/darksporemushrooms/
- Healthy Hen Farm: seasonal produce & eggs will be ordered as it is available
- Jewell Farm: we will order seasonal produce as it is available.
- Roundtop Farm: ginger and turmeric will be restocked as it is available
- Warbranch Mushrooms: we receive log-grown shiitakes as they are available
Albert’s Organics Produce Distributor: Produce will be ordered when we can make the minimum.
| New & Restocked Pet Products
Discontinued by UNFI
There are a variety of discounted items located on our Clearance shelf.
Recipes and Health Articles
Vegetarian Zucchini Lo Mein
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 2 people
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup Oceans Halo No Soy Soy-Free sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp raw honey substitute with maple syrup for vegan
- FOR THE LO MEIN:
- 2 large zucchini spiraled into noodles
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 bunch green onion chopped (white and green divided)
- 2 large carrots julienned
- 1 large bell pepper matchstick
- 1 cup cabbage shredded
- 1 cup kale chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 3 tbsp cashews roughly chopped
- Protein of choice optional*
- chopped green onion
- hemp hearts
- fresh herbs
- Add all ingredients for sauce, no soy soy-free sauce, sesame oil and honey, to a small mason jar and whisk or add lid and shake.
- Then add 1 tbsp sesame oil to large skillet with the chopped onions (white pieces) and cooked 1-2 minutes. Once onions begin to become translucent, add carrots, bell pepper, and cabbage, cook additional 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Finally add mushrooms and kale and cook until all veggies are soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Add fresh zucchini noodles and sauce to skillet, stir to combined, cover with lid and cook approximately 3 minutes, or until zucchini noodles are cooked to your preference. Careful not to overcook.
- Divide among 2 or 3 bowls, add roughly chopped cashews and optional protein (chicken, steak, tofu) garnish with onions, fresh herbs and hemp hearts. Enjoy!
- For additional protein, top with cooked chicken, steak, or tofu. I added Caulipower’s Spicy Chicken to my husbands and he loved it!
- Nutrition info does not include optional protein.
Full article here: https://lemonsandbasil.com/vegetarian-zucchini-lo-mein/