Due to the power outage caused by last weeks storm, some products had to be thrown out and we have reduced prices on the products that were not ruined, but that may have some reduced quality. We will be restocking the freezer so please let Jackie know(firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have particular products that you regularly purchase.
Ginger and Turmeric Information
This week we received fresh ginger and turmeric from Round Top Farm. They gave us some interesting information.
The green spouts on ginger are edible; they can be cut up and put into salads.
The base of the turmeric has a round ball. This ball has the highest amount of turmeric and should be used. The tips of the fingers that grow out of the ball have the least turmeric in them.
Happy Cow has local apples for order
They are grown in North Carolina so they are local, but not organic. If you would like to order apples, please order with the regular Happy Cow order. Available varieties are: Gala, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Fuji, Honeycrisp.
Theresa Pizzuto is continuing to recover. Theresa started physical therapy and is slowly regaining use of her right hand, and her range of motion for her arm and shoulder. She is healing well, but still has issues with facial numbness and vertigo. Theresa continues to be very grateful for all the help she is receiving with rides, household chores, and meals.
Until Theresa recovers, please be patient if produce and other items aren’t restocked as usual.
The Co-op needs a cashier to help fill in for Theresa on Thursdays. Other help is appreciated as well especially until Theresa gets back on her feet.
COVID-19 Reminders – We are still following safety protocols
As you know, the cases of COVID-19 have been increasing again in our area. We hope that you and your families are staying safe and healthy. We will continue to provide you with healthy foods and products to the best of our ability in order to help us all support our nutrition and immune systems.
Health and safety are all of our responsibilities. We encourage you to practice safety measures at home and when you’re out. Take measures to avoid unnecessary contact with large crowds and confined gatherings of people to help slow the spread of COVID-19.
What we ask you to do:
2020 Membership Renewals
Memberships are due the first time you shop at the Co-op in 2020. The cost has increased to $30 for the entire year, which is still a great deal. This is the first increase in 30 years, and is needed to increase our income. Thank you for your continued support!
See the recipe for Roasted Root Vegetables with Balsamic-Maple Glaze at the bottom of this email
New, Restocked & Highlighted Products
(See photos below)
- Bulk Packaged, Refrig, & Frozen: Bulk organic coconut, organic carob peanut clusters, organic cashews,organic dried blueberries; Chatfield’s Carob Powder, Field Day Apple Juice, King Arthur organic White whole wheat flour, Natural Value cellulose sponges, Now Foods Cocoa Nibs, Now Foods Organic Maple Syrup, Pacific soups; Rapunzel organic Cocoa powder, Reed’s Strongest Ginger Beer; Happy Cow milk, buttermilk, Butter and cheeses, Kite Hill Sour Cream, Kite Hill Spinach Ravioli, Amys Pizza, Brazi Bites, Woodstock organic brussel sprouts, dark sweet cherries, medjool dates, and spinach
- Gluten-Free: Big Spoon Nut Butter Bars (Cherry Pecan and Cranberry Cashew), Bobs Red Mill Pancake Mix, CauliPower Pizza Crust, IViva Cauliflower Tortilla, Larabar (Key Lime and Cherry), Lotus Foods Organic Millet and Brown Rice Ramen Noodles, MIracle Noodle Thai Tum Yum, Now Organic Coconut Flour, Ocean’s Halo no soy soy sauce, Real Foods organic Corn Thins
- Consignments: knitted items by Meg MacArthur – new knit caps and scarfs!
- Personal Care: nfuse magnesium deodorant, Alba Organics sunscreen, Clearly Natural unscented liquid hand soap
- Pet Products: Bio Bags 100% compostable and biodegradable doggie waste bags, Castor & Pollux pristine grain free beef bone broth; Castor & Pollux organic cookies, Doggie Delirious Crunchy Bones with Peanut Butter, Doggie Duds collar covers, Wellness gravies and morsels
- Supplements: Gaia Herbs Echinacea Supreme, Quaantum Health Immune support and Immune deficiency, Oblas analgesic salve and aromatherapy oil,; Solgar Calcium products, Echinacea products, Reisha Mushroom, and other products.
- Local Produce: from Cedar Knoll Farms received Nov 14: collards, green kale, green peppers); from Round Top Farms received Nov 19: ginger and tumeric
Monthly Senior Discount Day
The Co-Op offers a 5% discount to senior 65+ on the 3rd Saturday of each month. The next senior discount day will be held on Saturday, December 19.
Day Managers Needed
(Markup depends on day of week/hours worked)
We are looking for volunteers to be trained as Day Managers (hours depend on day of week). If you are interested or want to learn more please contact Theresa Pizzuto
(Officer position – 0% markup)
The Secretary takes minutes at the monthly manager meetings & quarterly general membership meetings, sends out the Weekly Update and all email communications to members & managers. Computer skills are required, including basic knowledge of Word and Excel; familiarity with Google Docs a plus. If you are interested or want to learn more please contact Theresa Pizzuto
Assistant Manager Needed
(Officer position – 0% markup)
The Assistant Manager assists the General Manager and Associate Manager in management activities and decision-making, serves in the absence of the Assoc. Manager or General Manager as needed, attends Manager, General Membership and agenda-planning meetings and works to gain knowledge of all jobs, policies and procedures associated with the operation of the Co-op. Good organizational, communication and computer skills are required, including basic knowledge of Word and Excel; familiarity with Google Docs, MailChimp and email lists is a plus. You will work closely with the the Associate & General Manager and we will provide training as needed. If you are interested or want to learn more please contact Theresa Pizzuto
Order Deadlines and Delivery Dates
— The next delivery date is Wednesday November 25
. The next order date is Monday, November 30
with delivery date of Wednesday, December 9
Happy Cow — The next delivery date is Monday November 23. The next order deadline is Saturday, December 5 for pickup on Monday, December 7.
Sami’s Bread — Please place a special order if you would like us to order from this company again.
Frontier Herbs — Orders due monthly on the 4th Wednesday of the month.
Albert’s Produce— The next delivery will be made when we can meet the minimum. To place an order or receive information about product/price lists please contact Theresa.