Martin Luther King Holiday- We will be open regular hours on Monday January 18.
2021 Membership Renewals:
Memberships are due the first time you shop at the Co-op in 2021.
The cost is $30 for the entire year, which is still a great deal. Thank you for your continued support!
Seed Savers Order
Please place orders for seeds on the Seed Savers page of the direct order book by Friday, January 22. The order will be made January 23. There are catalogs on the produce shelves and in the order book. If you have questions about ordering seeds, please contact Lillian Chabot at 864-246-3328.
Theresa Update: We are happy to learn Theresa has recovered enough to work at the Co-op on Thursdays again. Theresa is still recovering from her injuries, so please continue to be patient if produce and other items aren’t restocked as usual. Theresa is very grateful for all of your well wishes and support.
Betty Janzen Memorial: Many of you may remember Betty Jensen. Betty worked at the Co-op about 20 years. She served as Parliamentarian and also worked as cashier on Monday for many years. Betty died in May, 2020 but her family is having a Zoom memorial service in her honor on Saturday, January 23 at 4 p.m. Here is a link to her obituary http://hosting-15851.tributes.com/obituary/show/Betty-Janzen-108483849 If would like to join her memorial service by Zoom, send an email to email@example.com and she will send you the information.
Updated COVID-19 Reminders – We are still following safety protocols
As you know we are still following all of the recommended CDC guidelines for keeping people safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are currently very short staffed, so in addition to wanting to keep everyone safe and healthy, we also need to be mindful that the co-op operations are in danger of shutting down if our mangers become ill.
Given the recent surge in cases as well as anticipated increases during the winter we want to share a few important reminders:
What we ask you to do:
- If you are feeling sick at all (fever or not), Please do not come into the store.
- If you know you have been exposed to COVID-19, DO NOT come into the store. The CDC guidelines call for staying home for 14 days after you’ve been exposed to someone with confirmed COVID-19. See this link for more information: What to Do If You Are Sick | CDC
- If you cannot or will not wear a mask, we will provide curbside pickup for you in order to keep our managers healthy.
The rest of the original protocols still apply:
- Wash your hands when you arrive and leave
- Maintain a social distance of 6 feet when possible, particularly from anyone who is coughing or sneezing
- Try to only touch the products you plan to purchase.
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow or a tissue.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- You should also stay home if you have had to take simple medications, such as paracetamol/acetaminophen, ibuprofen or aspirin, which may mask symptoms of infection.
See the recipe for Pumpkin and Oat Pancakes at the bottom of this email
- Bulk Packaged, Refrig, & Frozen: Bulk organic mangos
- Gluten-Free: RealFood organic corn thins (Original and Sesame), RXBar mint chocolate bar, Unreal dark chocolate almond butter cups
- Consignments: knitted items by Meg MacArthur – knit caps and scarfs!
- Personal Care: nfuse magnesium deodorant, Alba Organics sunscreen, Clearly Natural unscented liquid hand soap
- Pet Products: Wellness Morsels Cat Food (Chicken and Salmon; Tuna; Turkey and Duck)
- Supplements: Quantum elderberry extract.
- Local Produce: from Darkspore Mushroom received Jan 14: Italian oyster, blue oyster, black pearl, lions mane.
Monthly Senior Discount Day
The Co-Op offers a 5% discount to seniors 65+ on the 3rd Saturday of each month. The next senior discount day will be held on Saturday, February 20.
Volunteers needed for a variety of jobs – this is how we run the co-op (no paid employees) Please contact Theresa at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to help keep the co-op running. Thanks!
Order Deadlines and Delivery Dates
— The next delivery on Wednesday, January 20.
The next order date is Monday, January 25
with delivery date of Wednesday, February 3
— The next delivery on Monday, January 18.
The next order deadline is Saturday, January 30
for pickup on Monday, February 1
Sami’s Bread — Please place a special order if you would like us to order from this company again.
Frontier Herbs — Orders due monthly on the 4th Wednesday of the month.
|New, Restocked & Highlighted Products
If you are interested in ordering a specific type of produce please contact Theresa to discuss availability.
Short-term Local Seasonal Produce
To special order please contact Theresa
New produce list:
see top section of email
- Growing Greens Family Farms: We order from them approximately every two weeks. For more information, visit Growing Green Family Farm. They are a local farm in Anderson, SC
- Cedar Knoll Farms: we will order seasonal produce as our shelf stock is depleted (weekly or every other week). For more information, go to https://www.cedarknollfarmnursery.farm/
- DarkSpore Mushrooms: We order from them approximately every two weeks. They culture a variety of mushrooms including Blue Oyster, Chestnut, Elm oyster and shiitakes. For more information, go to https://www.facebook.com/darksporemushrooms/
- Healthy Hen Farm: seasonal produce & eggs will be ordered as it is available
- Jewell Farm: we will order seasonal produce as it is available.
- Roundtop Farm: ginger and turmeric will be restocked as it is available
- Warbranch Mushrooms: we receive log-grown shiitakes as they are available
Albert’s Organics Produce Distributor: Produce will be ordered when we can make the minimum.
| New & Restocked Pet Products
Discontinued by UNFI
Recipes and Health Articles
Pumpkin and Oat Pancakes
This is so easy and so good.
Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground cinnamon
1-2/3 cups whole milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Optional: semisweet chocolate chips, raisins, sugared cranberries, pumpkin seeds, whipped cream, butter, maple syrup, or additional ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In a small bowl, whisk milk, egg, pumpkin and oil; stir into dry ingredients just moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot greased griddle; turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until second side is golden brown. Top as desired
YIELD: 12 servings
Full article here: Pumpkin and Oat Pancakes Recipe: How to Make It | Taste of Home